2013 was a tough year. There were ups and downs, laughs and sobs, awesome adventures and deep regrets. For that reason, I always like to write down my “resolutions” to remind myself of the goal… and laugh later when I fall short every once in a while. I feel like many of these resolutions can easily apply to other 20-something “wanderers” so I hope my list brings comfort to people who feel overwhelmed with what they “could have done better” in 2013… because life is a journey. Not a competition. Please enjoy my “self discovery.”
20 Resolutions For 2014
1- Stop telling yourself that you’re going to die alone… out loud… everyday.
2-Be more independent when solving your problems. You have 3G and Pleco now. Not speaking Chinese is no longer an excuse for everything.
3-Cuddle with Harold more.
4- Spank yourself at least once a day. Your ass was built by blood, sweat, and ripped calluses. Recognize your achievements.
5-Be more comfortable with women hating you for no reason. Le sigh.
- 5.1-… And stop trying so hard to be their friend. You’re not fooling anyone. Be excited that you’re crushing it so hard that you have haters. (THUG LYFE!)
- 5.2-No really. They’re never going to like you. Seriously, just give up.
6-Never skip a morning workout unless you’re throwing up, having an asthma attack, or cuddling with an incredibly respectable man.
7-Wear your pollution mask more.
8-Pay is forward. Help everyone you can, whenever you are able.
9-Make a legit budget you damn fool!
10-Have at least 2 different types of VISA options at all times.
11-Continue to write and have confidence in your voice. People are listening.
12-Make breakfast for all overnight guests. You weren’t raised in a barn.
13-Hug everyone you part ways with.
- 13.1-Eh, eff it. Hug everyone who will let you touch them.
14-Read those articles your mom keeps sending you. She cares about you enough to send them.
- 14.1-You should probably skype with her more too.
- 14.2-Some more texting wouldn’t hurt either. The woman brought you into the world damn it, she deserves attention.
15-Stop freaking out about money all the time. All of your bills are/will be paid. Be grateful for everything you’ve already been blessed with.
16-Only surround yourself with people who can handle the spectrum of emotions that is “Vanessa.” If people can’t handle you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best OR YOUR AMAZING DESSERTS.
18-Continue to spread the teachings of CrossFit and paleo around the world.
19-Have some effing standards.
- 19.1-Date busy men. You are not responsible for their happiness
- 19.2-Stop dating men with “Daddy Issues.”
- 19.3-… or guys named “Alex.”
- 19.4-… or Colombians.
- 19.5-… or guys who don’t workout. Seriously, you spend most of your time at the box/studio, hanging out with your friends from CrossFit/Yoga, or planning what you’re going to do at CrossFit/Yoga. It. Just. Won’t. Work.
20-Continue to develop yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally.
We (Harold and I) at wanderonwards.com would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday this winter! May your debts be settled and glasses be overflowing with champaign to justify whatever poor decision making you wish to engage in. Cheers.